Tuesday, October 17, 2017

A Higher Human Standard

I've been thinking so much lately. About everything. You may have been thinking, too. I hope you have. About the pain we feel as we watch each other, and ourselves, fail at being human. I passed a sign that read, "Humane Society" outside an animal shelter the other day and almost burst into tears at the irony.

I don't care any more about anyone hearing or validating my allegiances, perspectives, experiences, or preferences...I just want this to get better for my students, my children, for whoever comes next.

I'm trying to teach my students about the world, but it's getting painful because it feels like I'm fighting a world that wants to be divided...and one that runs counter to my school's mission about recognizing "our common humanity."

The idea that's been tumbling around in my mind is this: we need to reclaim our societal norms. To flip peer pressure on its head. We need to hold each other accountable. But we can't do it from the heights of our haughty and proverbial soap boxes or high horses. We have to start with ourselves by humbly submitting ourselves to the reality that we are all flawed and each of us needs to change if anybody is going to change.

The world won't change. We have to change the world. So here is my proposal:


Today
we live in a troubled world.
It’s a world where our differences have divided us.
Everything has become us versus them.


Nobody is listening.
So nobody is learning.


But
how do we learn to listen?
How do we learn to learn?


The answer is actually simple.
We shift our perspective.


Instead
Of entrenching ourselves in our own beliefs
And allowing the media and society to control
What we believe and how we act...
Instead of waiting to defame our critics, haters, trolls, and naysayers,


We invite
Other human beings to make us aware of our blind spots.
Because we all have them.


All of us.


Just like the athlete who spends time in practice working on their flaws,
we must find the flaws in our own armor
instead of looking to exploit the weaknesses in others.


The future of our collective humanity depends upon it.


But we have to want to change
...we have to want to be collectively better
...to overcome challenges
not people.


Therefore,
We demand
that society-at-large holds us, our sons, our daughters, our neighbors, friends, and foes
to a higher standard.


And we begin not with others,
But with ourselves.


So we don a bracelet, a t-shirt, a hat, a patch, or we simply sign our names beneath a pledge of self-improvement that says,

I want to be better.
I want to see my blind spots.
Please help to gently guide me.
Be my guard rail
And make me aware of that which I cannot see.


We tattoo this on our conscience until it simply becomes a part of who we are.


Where everybody thinks alike,
Nobody thinks very much.


But listening to understand
Those whose views differ from our own
Is the greatest trait we can acquire.


Tomorrow
our children will inherit the world.
They will reap the harvest we sow.


We can shift society toward holding each of us to a higher standard.


But the world will not change.
Society will not change.


Each of us must change.


This isn’t about being perfect.
This isn’t about tearing down people.
It’s about trying to improve humanity by holding a mirror up to ourselves.


By reclaiming the contagious nature of societal pressures
to act and be and see the world through one singular lens.


Nobody learns anything from people who agree with them.
Let’s invite people to help us see our blind spots.


Let’s try to be better
By saying,
Let’s ourselves to a higher human standard
and let it begin with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment