Monday, March 16, 2020

A letter to my students 3/16/2020

I sent this message to my students today. 

That is all for right now. 

More to come soon.

-WM


--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Students,

Hi.

I want to connect with you this morning in an effort to say a few things.

1) First, I just want to say hello. 

So, hi. I want to extend some social connection to you all in the midst of this unprecedented time of "social distancing." I wonder what this is like for each of you, and how you might be managing. I imagine, in some ways, your generation is benefitting because of your relationship with technology. Perhaps some of you are still feeling a sense of community and camaraderie through group texts, silly Tik-Tok videos, or other means of communication. It reminds me of that poem we read that included the line "I pledge allegiance to the group text..." 

2) And, of course, at the same time, I know that technology can only do so much to unite us in times such as these. This is hard.

3) Over the course of the next few weeks I am going to start posting some content on my blog. By no means is it homework or required, but it is certainly an invitation. You can comment, you can send me an email, and you can reflect on any of the things I post. Or, do nothing. Enjoy your time away from school (and me) and just do what you need to for yourself. Take this time to be a human being (not just a human doing).

4) Since we last saw each other on Wednesday, I've thought about two specific things we've worked on together this year. The first was our study of "ubuntu," the Zulu word that Desmond Tutu describes as "I am because you are, and because you are, I am." In essence, it speaks to that reality that our own humanity is irrevocably tied up in everyone else's humanness as well. Nothing feels more important than this right now.

I've also thought a great deal about poetry, and about the ways poems try to "put words to what can't be said," as Julia Alvarez so beautifully put it. This is such a time for poems. I look forward to reading your poetry in April (thanks to those of you who sent me your digital chapbooks, and no worries to those of you waiting until our return from break) and I encourage you to keep writing. There are likely a litany of emotions you're feeling right now, and by putting words to them you will be saving a relic of these days for your future self, and you will be leaving a legacy for future generations. The things you feel, and the words you put to them as eighth graders are so important. So feel your feelings, and write them down.

5) Weirdly, this whole change has really made me miss each of you (it's only weird because this is technically our first day of spring break). Our time shared in the classroom this year has been so important and the unknown that lies ahead just made me want to check in with you. So, hi. I hope you're all doing alright. Let this be an extension of myself and an invitation to engage with me over the break. I am excited to read your World Congress papers, and I invite you to follow my blog in the days to come.

Thanks for reading. I sincerely wish you well. Reach out if you need some human contact. Remember that right now matters.

Sending you my best.

Onward,

Mr. McDonough


Will McDonough
Upper School Humanities
Social Studies Department Co-Chair
Co-Director of Service Learning

1 comment:

  1. Wow...March 17th was when this was posted...my ritual of reading the Thursday blog has been disrupted emotionally with a lot of self care and figuring out how to teach deaf and deafblind children online. (I have been enjoying your instagram and following you on twitter.) Now almost two months later....I have felt so much as I know everyone has and is. Thank you for writing Will. Love and blessings to you, your family, students and the whole NCCS learning community. Be of good courage. Patrice

    ReplyDelete